3.22.2011

Hi-Hat, Hi-Hat, It's Off to Work They ...

If I want to get into the food blogging game, I've got to step it up.  I've got about 30 cupcakes and other recipes all ready to post but am having serious time management issues. 

Between my youngest randomly learning to stand up all on his own (be still my "ohmygod he's going to get a concussion because his brother just ran around the corner screaming "Tsaaooo Tsaaoooo" while swinging three magnetic trains in the air like a rodeo champ and they're both going to be crying in a minute" heart.) and my oldest repeating a bad word I said in practically an imperceptible whisper while making these glorious cupcakes, time seems to elude me. 

Worth it?  We'll see once they've been taste tested. 

I, like many people who've made them, first heard about them at Bakerella (who I adore!) who got the recipe from MarthaStewart.com who got it from the cookbook Cupcakes!  You've all had success, what could go wrong?

Well, only making the icing three times because I got yolk in the first batch.  The second one turned out beautifully then O had a meltdown and when I got back to it, the frosting had deflated.  The third time was relatively similar in the meltdown department, but it was a dual effort from both my little angels.  That's what I get for undertaking these with no other parental supervision than my own. 

So, about 675 cups of sugar later, I scrapped the "stand at the stove for at least 12 minutes with a HAND MIXER (What is this, 1923?!) while your glass bowl sits over a bowl of simmering water and you get Popeye Arm and hope your sugar reaches 160 degrees and your kids are pulling at your pant legs" icing and went with a peppermint buttercream instead. 

Easy Peasy!

Big Daddy gets to take these beauties to work tomorrow to share with a classroom full of Air Force boys.  Don't think they'll last too long. 

If loving you is wrong, I don't want to be right...

Just for a Hi-Hat remix, I slapped a chunk of After Eight Chocolate Bar on the inside of every cupcake before I baked them and dipped the tips in crushed peppermints. 

Delish.

Peppermint Buttercream

1 Cup Butter (I use salted, takes away some of the sweetness)
About 4-5 Cups Icing Sugar
1/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 T Peppermint Extract

Whip butter until fluffy and alternately incorporate icing sugar and whipping cream. 
Add extract to taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...