4.03.2011

Ruffles and Nuggets..

After our delicious multi-course meal and cheapo dessert from last night, I knew I'd get my ruffle cake done today.

After some cursing at my lack of a) a cake stand with domed top, b) a proper leveling tool, and c) a serious lack of eyeballing cake layering skills (due to being poked, prodded, and pulled on by two little people) I got the beauty layered and crumb coated. 

I cheated a little with this cake, I used a boxed French Vanilla cake mix and my own tried and true chocolate cake recipe

Tonight for supper we had a regal sampling of chicken nuggets, french fries, meatballs and gravy, and capped it off with my five layer ruffle cake. 



Not bad for my first time!

For the frosting, I tweaked (by eye) my standard buttercream.  Again, I'll attempt to list it out..

I needed a lot to fill layers, crumb coat, and ruffle so I doubled my usual cupcake amount. 

Buttercream

1 Lb Butter
2 T Vanilla
6-8 Cups Powdered Sugar
1/2-2/3 C Heavy Whipping Cream
(Food Coloring if desired, I used Wilton Gel in Teal)

Whip butter until almost white, add vanilla. 
Add half the powdered sugar, whip well.
Add whipping cream until incorporated. 
Add more powdered sugar until you've reached your desired consistency. 
Add color.

Frost!  (I ruffled, but clearly preference is key. )


Enjoy, we're all in a sugar coma!

6 comments:

  1. Definitely a great job for your first ruffle job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I don't think anyone but me noticed the pretty icing, it was all about the "get in the mouth" factor!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the ruffle cake is so pretty! Your blog is great! Look forward to reading more. I'll add you to my blog list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! I've added you as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job! I love the color of the frosting and the ribbons. Was it really time consuming to decorate?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Farrah! It was WAAAAAY easier than I thought it would be. I had to do a couple before I found my rhythm, so they're at the back of the photo. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...